* In 1779, Thomas Jefferson rewrote Virginia law and made any acts of sodomy punishable by mutilation rather than death.
* In 1939, the first gay rights movement was at the Whitehall Induction Center in New York, it was a protest against the military.
* In 1969, notably one of the biggest moments in LGBTQ+ history was the start of the Stonewall riots in New York.
* In 1973, homosexuality was removed from the list of psychiatric disorders.
* In 1977, Harvey Milk became the first openly gay person to be elected to public office.
* In 2003, homosexuality was decriminalized by the Supreme Court.
* In 2004, Massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage.
* In 2015, the Supreme Court made it so all states were required to give same-sex couples a marriage license, legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states
* In 2016, the Orlando Pulse Nightclub shooting took place killing 49 and injuring around 50 others.
* In 2019, President Trump banned transgender people from the military who have started hormones or undergone any gender reaffirmation surgeries making it so they may not enlist.